Arts Day success as one-day event

Arts Day took place on the 10th of November with approximately €2,000 being raised for the Barretstown children’s charity in Ballymore Eustace, Kildare, which aims to help support children affected by serious illnesses.

Arts Society Representative Steven McCahill described the day as “a fantastic success, every event we ran had big attendance, the sports day went very well. I was happy, there was a big turnout”.

Various events took place throughout the day including leg-waxing, outdoor busking and a mini sports day. Collections took place around campus, with many students donning Arts Day t-shirts and carrying collection buckets in an effort to raise money. Events were centralised around the Newman building, where buskers were playing on the outside steps throughout the day.

A charity concert took place in the evening in the Student Bar. Donegal-based group Mojo Gogo, who were recently featured on the cover of Hotpress, performed on the night. “They played for charity and everyone came together so it was a good success all round” McCahill said. The Arts Day Beer Olympics, which featured “Beer Pong, Drunken Limbo and more” also took place in the bar before the gig.

McCahill was impressed with the level of student participation, saying “I knew we had a strong group on the organisation committee, but the amount of people that just showed up on the day, just playing guitars and getting involved, was great”.

The event was held over the course of one week last year, and McCahill explained that turnout and participation was more successful this year with the consolidation of all events on one day, “last year, I don’t think there were quite as many [events] going on, it was a very well put together week, they covered every aspect of arts, but I just don’t think the awareness was there”.

When summarising the day as a whole, Steven McCahill commented that “the Arts Block was just alive”, and he was pleased with the level of awareness that was raised and the success of the day, which he attributed to student contribution.