Arts Day raises funds for ISPCC

Arts Day 2013 took place last Wednesday, October 23rd. The event, which has not been hosted since 2011, was in aid of the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC).

Events that took place included sumo wrestling, a comedy debate declaring ‘This House Believes that God was an arts student’, makeovers, busking, a tea and coffee morning, and performances by DanceSoc.

The slave auction that took place in the new student bar, which managed to raise nearly €700 for the ISPCC, was one of the notable successes of the day. Auditors and convenors were sold among others to raise money for the cause, with Literary and Historical Society Auditor, Alex Owens, the most expensive of the lot, as he fetched €180 for his personal services.

Speaking to the University Observer, Vice-Auditor of ArtsSoc, Ian Fahey said, “It was important to provide a solid fun packed Arts Day so that future sessions could build upon its success.”

Highlighting the importance of raising money for charity as part of the event, Fahey said, “The ISPCC are heroic in what they do. Even if it is only one child that benefits, it’s down to the generosity of UCD students.”

The ISPCC is Ireland’s oldest and most well-known children’s charity and they aspire to see an Ireland where all children are heard and valued. They provide 24-hour support to children via their Childline service, but receive no government funding. Their support workers and volunteer mentors work with over 1,500 children and their families each year.

In terms of numbers, Arts is the largest faculty on campus. UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) Arts Convenor, Aonghus Ó’Briain, feels that ArtsSoc and Arts Convenors need to put emphasis on using their roles as representatives of Arts students to reduce the stigma around social interaction and make arts a friendlier faculty that encourages its students to branch out and meet new people.

“We need to develop the community spirit which is why we wanted to push Arts Day. It gave individuals who might not have had a chance to get to know too many people a chance to sit down and have a tea or coffee with people who are there simply to chat, not rushing off to lectures or meetings.”

Ó’Briain said there were lots of people who could be credited with helping the event run, but Ellen Metzger deserved special recognition as a main organiser of Arts Day 2013.

The exact quantity of money raised during Arts Day will be released when the counting by the ISPCC has been carried out.