24-hour study area set for September 09

THE INTRODUCTION of a 24-hour study area in the university is planned for September 09. It is proposed that the study area will be situated in Rendezvous, located in the Main Restaurant or in the Health Science building.

Students’ Union (SU) Education Officer, Paul Lynam said that his “main aim” is to establish a student/staff group that will choose “an ideal space that guarantees security” for the 24-study area. He hopes to ensure that swipe card access, CCTV cameras, bathroom access, an internal phone for emergencies and computer and printing facilities will all be available within the chosen location.

Mr Lynam added that an alternative to the 24-hour study area could be an area that would open after the main library closes at 9pm.

The concept for this new study area originated from the SU’s last strategic plan, which looked to develop and extend access to the library, computer laboratories and study facilities. Mr Lynam said that the overall aim of the plan was to create a world class environment for students and that the 24-hour study area is part of this saying “top US universities have it, Trinity has it, we want to have it.”

SU Entertainments Officer and SU President-elect, Gary Redmond confirmed that talks are ongoing about a 24-hour study space, but regarding the location he said the decision of the location will be put in the hand of Buildings and Services.

Mr Redmond argued that the study space is “extremely necessary; after all, most UCD students live within 3 km and that’s walking distance. Anyone could make use of these facilities. During the weekend, the library closes at 9pm and it would be of use to get an extra two and a half hours study in before the last bus.”

Mr Lynam spoke of how the extended opening times will benefit students. “Different students study at different times. Some students are better in the morning with 6 am starts, some are best in the afternoon, some evening and some night.”

It is hoped the cost of the new facilities will be limited as Mr Redmond is confident that the only possible cost will be the “installation of wireless internet access, which is fairly cheap and also the managed access system”.