14 New Staff Recruited to UCD School of Business

UCD School of Business has appointed 14 new faculty members to the University for the new academic year. The majority of the new faculty are international appointees from universities abroad, including South Korea, USA, Canada, France, Italy and Germany. Several of the new faculty appointees are from Ireland

Dean of the UCD School of Business Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh, believes the recruitment of the new staff is an indication of the international perception that Ireland remains a strong country for academia and third-level education: “With 60% of our new faculty coming from overseas, this is a vote of confidence in how positively the new international faculty feel about Ireland’s university education system and our future prospects as a nation.”

“To support the demand for graduates who can work across our increasingly globalised society we searched nationally and internationally for the best and brightest to join the world leading academics already teaching at UCD. Each one brings a diverse range of academic research, real-world multi-cultural experience and commitment that will provide our students with the necessary critical perspectives they need to succeed in leading change in society,” continues Ó hÓgartaigh.

The new faculty will lecture at both the undergraduate school, UCD Quinn School of Business, and at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business and will cover a range of business subjects including accountancy, marketing, management information systems, global leadership, banking, finance, sustainable supply chain management, and human resources.

The UCD Michael Smurfit Business School was recently announced as the only Irish business school to be placed in the 2012 Financial Times rankings. It has been ranked in the Top 100 global Executive MBA programmes for the 13th consecutive year.

Factors considered in the Financial Times ranking of the world’s top 100 EMBA programmes include the quality of alumni, faculty research capabilities, the global nature of the programme as well as the proportion of faculty with PhD degrees.

Ó hÓgartaigh says of the Smurfit School of Business that the “ultimate aspiration [is] to make a significant impact in business education globally. The recruitment of these new faculty members is one of the key initiatives designed to consolidate the school’s position as one of Europe’s leading business schools. We are the only Irish business school listed in the Financial Times ranking of the top 100 global MBA programmes, maintaining our status as Ireland’s leading centre of excellence in this field”

In addition to the new faculty members, two new Masters Degrees have been launched for the new academic year, the MSc in Digital Marketing and MSc in Energy and Environmental Finance.