Album Review – Gossamer – Passion Pit

Artist: Passion Pit
Album: Gossamer
Grade: C

Gossamer centres around dark themes of alcohol addiction, mental health and distressed relations. Despite the sometimes heavy discourse, Passion Pit’s second full length studio album is mostly kept light and upbeat, in keeping with the electro-pop style. For the most part, the album is deep, and teeming with personal emotion and struggles. However, the contrast between production and content can appear fickle, erratic and leaves the listener with a sense of superficial and shallow analysis of the human condition.

The record commences with ‘Take a Walk’, where lead singer and producer, Michael Angelakos’, vocals and production make for a positive track correlating to progress and improvement. This is followed by, ‘I’ll Be Alright’, which refers heavily to Angelakos’ struggle with depression. The two songs do not sit well together and it creates an uneasy, somewhat chaotic start to the album.

The peak of Gossamer is ‘Constant Conversations’, featuring the soft sentimental sounds of Angelakos’ falsetto combined with a slower paced electric construction. It is insightful and an asset to the record. The final song, ‘Where We Belong’, is strange and agitated. Such feelings are underpinned by the climatic intro, the dreary vocals and the continuous beating noise created by production.

Individually, many songs on this album are genius. The marriage of strong lyrics, distraught themes and electro-pop has to be commended. Nevertheless, tracks such as ‘Two Veils Hide My Face’, a 34 second a capella piece with its falsely squeaky clean lyrics and sound, only questions the credibility of the record. The album fails to achieve any form of rhythm, stability or structure.
In a Nutshell: An illogical and messy attempt.