Top 5 Games… that make you think

Portal 2

In a similar fashion to its predecessor, Portal 2 thrives on its puzzling levels and enigmatic characters. Throughout this magnificent game, the player must contend with gallons of Repulsion Gel, Weighted Companion Cubes and the humorously named Thermal Discouragement Beams to successfully figure out and navigate each level.

While all of this is going on, there’s a cruel and sadistic piece of artificial intelligence trapped inside a potato who promises that she won’t kill you if you help her out of a tight jam. Can she be trusted? It’s certainly worth thinking about.

L.A. Noire

Rockstar Games have developed L.A Noire with an uncanny amount of precision and realism making for tense interrogation scenes, comprehensive investigations and intriguing mysteries.

With an array of cases ranging from traffic to homicide, the player must consider all his evidence and witness testimonies during an investigation in order to ensure that justice is swiftly and efficiently carried out. L.A. Noire is most certainly a thinking persons’ game.

BioShock

To say that BioShock demands that the gamer consider his own role in this chilling videogame would be an understatement. BioShock weaves a multitude of moral dilemmas into the maniacal and tyrannical world of Rapture while the player is frantically pursued around the submerged metropolis for what seems like an eternity.

Moreover, BioShock also necessitates that some more immediate questions about its gameplay be answered such as; ‘why must I ‘kindly’ beat people to death with golf clubs?’ One thing is for sure though; this game certainly makes you think.

Fallout 3

Oh post-apocalyptic America, how we love your savage mutants and morally dubious bandits. As the theme suggests, Fallout 3 possesses a large survival element in its gameplay. The lack of ammo, insufficient armour and poor provisions mean that the player must constantly plan ahead and think about how he should approach particular situations and scenarios.

Fallout 3 also thrives on its ‘karma’ system in which the moral and ethical decisions that the gamer makes early on in the game may benefit him or come back to haunt him later on as the game progresses.

From this point of view, Fallout 3 is a complex first person experience and compels its players to think on two levels making for a fresh and diverse approach to its gameplay.

Assassin’s Creed 2

Okay, so AC2 probably isn’t a thinking persons’ game like the others on this list but what the game does do however is give its players a thoroughly enjoyable experience of thinking that he is an assassin during the renaissance period of 15th century Italy.

The stealthy style of gameplay does require that the gamer take a moment to assess the situation from time to time although the questions posed are generally of trivial concern (i.e. death by swooping hidden blade or death by smokescreen and then swooping hidden blade).

If anything, the game should make people wonder why it’s not on today’s history courses.