Top 5… Apps of the Week – November 12th

There are now more than 700,000 apps now available in the App Store. Here are our top 5 new arrivals.

Angry Birds Star Wars (€0.89)

Last month, Rovio announced a major partnership with Lucasfilm to create Angry Birds Star Wars. The hybrid of two powerful brands provides enjoyable gameplay for fans of both franchises. With a five star rating from 36 reviews, whilst ranking as the highest grossing app this week, this partnership has proved an indisputable success.

Fantasy Premier League 2012/13 – Official App (€1.79)

Last week saw the release of the update, an improvement on September’s original release. The app provides all you need to keep your fantasy team in check, including transfers, leagues and player profiles. This app is essential for all those who fear the inevitable fall of their fantasy team into disarray, whilst breathing life into the tired franchise.

Jamie Magazine (Free)

Jamie Oliver has brought out his own magazine, now available for iOS. To download the app is free, however issues will set you back an extremely reasonable €4.99(or a 6 month subscription for €20.99), with the latest issue based on Christmas cooking. Expect to see this format become the magazine/newspaper industry standard over the next few years as the paper-publishing industry continues its downward spiral. Shameless foodies should love this app.

James Bond 50 Years of Movie Posters (€4.99)

This app boasts “rare, valuable, sought-after, and unpublished posters from all over the world promoting every Bond film”, all on your iPhone. The hardback will set you back around €30, so the app at a fifth of that price for the cash-strapped student is a proper steal. This will be a sheer necessity for avid James Bond fans, as one satisfied reviewer declares it “00Heaven”.

HowDo (Free)

This is an app “to show you how to do stuff in the real world”, with the tutorials coming from other people using the HowDo app. The ideal is simple, the design is beautiful with an intuitive, clear interface.