Top 5: 90s Games

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

First and foremost, Ocarina of Time is arguably the greatest game ever created. Offering up to around 40 hours of gameplay the player immediately finds himself ensconced in a vibrant, three-dimensional adventure on a scale of epic proportions. The diverse land of Hyrule features an awesome blend of dungeons, puzzles, weapons and enemies, which are guaranteed to keep the gamer entertained long after the main quest has finished. This action-adventure game is a simply wonderful experience to play and it remains nothing short of a masterpiece.

GoldenEye 007

GoldenEye 007 was yet another revolutionary Nintendo title that changed the way video games were played. This first person shooter on the Nintendo 64 has proved to be one of the most enduring and timeless multiplayer games on the planet. If you’ve played Call of Duty, Halo, Half-Life or in fact any first person shooter game at all, you can be sure that GoldenEye 007 was the architect behind it. Featuring some awful artificial intelligence, terrible draw distances and multiple bugs, this game is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

Resident Evil

Resident Evil represents the original survival horror experience in which the player finds himself fighting for his life through the ominous and foreboding corridors of the Arklay Mansion. The fixed camera views in every room and hallway mean that the player is regularly faced with petrifying scenarios of being unable to peer around corners resulting in walking straight into gnashing jaws of ravenous zombies. Despite some truly horrific voiceovers the game more than compensates with its eerie soundtrack, macabre atmosphere and terrifying monsters. The result is fantastic and the GameCube remake only improves on the original. 

Pokémon: Red Version

Nintendo were always quite liberal in their creativity department and Pokémon Red was no exception to these excursions. Within a few hours of gameplay the player is digging, flying, cutting and swimming his way all over the Kanto region, catching Pokémon, scrambling through haunted buildings, foiling dastardly evil plans and using more escape ropes than he can afford. With the gameplay all bundled up into a neat, overhead, third person perspective, Pokémon Red is certainly an unmatched title on the Game Boy.

Super Mario 64

This game could possibly be the best Super Mario game ever made. Featuring a vast number of versatile and thematically diverse levels ranging from the sparse deserts of Shifting Sand Land to the fast paced, fairy tale world of Rainbow Ride, Super Mario 64 is a fun, cool and quirky game that has provided endless entertainment for anyone who has picked up an awkward N64 controller in an attempt to play it. With a short learning curve, one hundred and twenty Power Stars to collect and an expansive, colourful set of levels, it is without doubt a genre definer of platform games.