Top 10: Box Office Failures

Be it critical, commercial or both in its nature- these ten films have not done the business expected of them and have thus paid the consequences in another top ten list

10. Rock of Ages (2012)

Tom Cruise singing karaoke to 80s music  for two hours may seem like a sure-fire box-office hit but this star-studded musical only made back $56 million of its $75 million budget. An excessively weak script leaning on hair metal hits just did not get the job done.

9. That’s My Boy (2012)

Following the Razzie-encumbered Jack and Jill, Adam Sandler had a price to pay and he did it, both commercially and critically. Not-so-hilarious comedy with Andy Samberg made even less funny by its brusque treatment of sex between teachers and students.

8. Alexander (2004)

Though it made a slim profit, Alexander was a complete bomb with critics. Not even the star-studded cast including Colin Farrell and Anthony Hopkins, and first class director Oliver Stone were enough to keep angry historians at bay.

7. The Green Lantern (2011)

This $200 million budget flick may have taken in nearly a $20 million profit (which is not much for such a big production) but the image of hapless Ryan Reynolds in green tights will forever haunt the streak of superhero hits that have dominated cinemas in recent years.

6. The Alamo (2004)

Earning back less than a quarter of its $100 million-plus budget, this film proves that going down the historical route is a risky business. Pales in comparison to even the average 1960 John Wayne original.

5. Gigli (2003)

Earning only $7 million on a $54 million budget,  Gigli failed commercially as well as critically, with reviews citing the lack of chemistry between Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, in spite of their off-screen romantic involvement.

4. John Carter (2012)

This Disney production brought in $280 million worldwide ($30 million in profit) but was considered a flop even by Disney. This film had been a long time in the works and could have been an epic but incompetent directing and even worse acting led to lukewarm critical reception.

3. Catwoman (2004)

There’s not much to say about this film; all you must do is Youtube Halle Berry’s acceptance of the Razzie for Worst actress and refer to Michelle Pfeiffer or Anne Hathaway’s much better performances as the same character.

2. Son of the Mask (2005)

From the outset, it was just a terrible, terrible idea. Today, it is remembered as a one star bonanza sequel to the masterpiece from years before.

1. The Postman (1997)

One cannot help but feel sorry for Kevin Costner who earned himself a Worst Director and Worst Actor Razzie. Having said that, you might have a change of heart if you sit down and watch the near 3-hour longer feature which also won a well-deserved Worst Picture.