Love, Marilyn Review

Directed by: Liz Garbus
Starring: Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Banks
Release Date: 18th October“I would like very much to be a fine actress. I would like to be happy. But trying to be happy is almost as difficult as trying to be a good actress.”

Fifty years after her death, two boxes of Marilyn Monroe’s writings, diaries, poems and letters were discovered in the home of Lee Strasberg, her acting coach. Love, Marilyn is a documentary film that gives the audience an insight into these writings.

It’s expected that a film about the life of this star would be slightly morbid, but this film is filled with haunting and emotional footage of the actress. While these clips and quotes humanise Marilyn as an idol, a definite gloom hangs over the documentary because of them.

“Life is to be lived, and since it is comparatively short, maybe too long, the only thing I know for sure, it isn’t easy.”

Indeed, for Monroe, life was anything but easy. Through Monroe’s own words we get a wonderful insight into her life, which was very much a tragedy in an extremely intriguing fashion.

The use of actors such as Glenn Close, Uma Thurman and Lindsay Lohan to voice some of Monroe’s most personal writings was powerful, as the actors added character and life to the film. Glenn Close and Marisa Tomei, in particular, gave wonderfully emotive performances that can and will birng the audience to tears.

Although the diction of these actors added some gravitase to the readings , it cannot be denied that they are practically incomparable to the clips of Marilyn. She truly was a very beautiful, yet tormented, person. The clips of her capture that essence exquisitely.

Her voice, which was so sultry and husky, resonates around the room and her walk and her mannerisms are captivating. It is only when you watch Garbus’ video montages of her that you realise what was so great about Marilyn; she had an inexplicable something, a certain charm and grace.

If you are a fan of Monroe, you will love this documentary, and even if you don’t, it is still a work to be enjoyed. In this film, we watch her create her own persona, we watch as the girl who once was Norma Jeane Mortenson becomes Marilyn Monroe.

The audience witnesses her struggle to establish herself, her achievement of the sex symbol status. Observe as she rockets to fame and gasp as she plummets into a downward spiral of depression. As Gloria Steinem said, “One simple reason for her life story’s endurance is the premature end of it. When the past dies, there is mourning, but when the future dies, our imaginations are compelled to carry it on.”

In A Nutshell: A moving insight into the troubled life of Hollywood’s most notorious sex symbol.