Film Review: The Sitter

Title: The Sitter

Director: David Gordon Green

Starring: Jonah Hill, Sam Rockwell and Max Records

Release Date: Out Now

The Sitter tells the story of serial slacker and college drop-out Noah (Jonah Hill) as he babysits the Pedulla children – three troubled and troublesome kids.

Noah, who is promised a night of sex with his girlfriend if he can supply her with cocaine from crazy drug dealer Karl (Sam Rockwell), drags the kiddies along for the ride, encountering gangs, cops, drugs and violence all while teaching the kids about the importance of being themselves. This is a film full of ‘shart’ jokes, exploding toilets, party crashing, auto-theft and various other obvious but idiotic attempts at humour, making it, from start to finish, a cinematic train wreck.

Considering that director David Gordon Green (the man behind Pineapple Express and hit comedy show Eastbound & Down) is teamed with usually reliable funny man, Jonah Hill (Superbad and Get Him to the Greek) expectations for The Sitter were reasonably high. But one only has to recall the painfully stupid and unfunny Your Highness to remember that Green is a director who has a habit of spectacularly missing the comedic mark. Sadly this film, like Your Highness, fails to combine the better aspects of both Green and Hill, delivering a film that is rife with missed opportunities. The Sitter is a very familiar, crude and silly re-telling of the classic films Adventures in Babysitting and Uncle Buck. Those references are the best compliment the film can hope to get. While Adventures in Babysitting was innovative, enjoyable and intelligent, The Sitter acts as the rude re-boot, walking the strange line between completely immature content and scenes of an adult nature. It is therefore a film that doesn’t really have a target audience. It is too silly for comedy fans to really enjoy and too mature for children to embrace. Chief blame for this film lies with the writers, Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka, whose script is more like a Hollywood pitch or a first draft as opposed to any kind of acceptable final script.

The sole decent thing to emerge from this film is the child actors, who do provide some touching moments (noticeably with Where the Wild Things Are actor Max Records) and occasionally some light and humorous laughs from Kevin Hernandez. They certainly have bright futures to look forward to if they have been able to survive this boring and confused comedy.

In a Nutshell: A predictable, unfunny and awful film that bores rather than entertains. Avoid it if you value eighty-one minutes of your time.