Film Review – The Dark Knight Rises

Title: The Dark Knight Rises
Director: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt

Release Date: Out Now

The Dark Knight Rises is set eight years after its predecessor. Batman’s reputation is shattered and an injured Bruce Wayne has locked himself away in his manor and the people of Gotham know him only as recluse. When masked villain Bane appears on the scene, hell bent on wreaking havoc on Gotham, Wayne is forced to don the cape once again to save the city.

Packed with car chases, explosions and super heroes in tight leather get-ups, The Dark Knight Rises is undoubtedly the stand out action movie of the year, blowing the attempts of Marvel’s Avengers Assemble and the Amazing Spider-Man out of the water.

Outstanding performances are given by the entire cast, even the supporting roles shine. Tom Hardy’s (Bronson, Inception) portrayal of Bane is chilling, his face is mostly obstructed by the mask but his eyes are exceptionally expressive and he brings a very menacing aspect to the role. However the story of Bane becomes somewhat unravelled by the film’s finale and he may have been a more interesting character had he been left with an air of mystery about him. Anne Hathaway (One Day, The Devil Wears Prada) makes a great Selina Kyle, though she interprets her character very differently to Michelle Pfeiffer, but plays her equally as smart and sultry.

The film, and the entire trilogy, is a testament to what can be achieved with the vision and direction of Christopher Nolan. The Dark Knight Rises crystallizes Nolan’s vision of Gotham City, and to great effect. The emotion of the film is heightened by Hans Zimmer’s exceptional score which also intensifies action sequences and builds suspense with ease.

At its very core, The Dark Knight Rises has a very politically relevant theme. As the anarchists of Gotham City wreak havoc and aim to bring down the city’s finest and most wealthy their anger is intense. This anger and unease at the rise and power of the wealthy is something that has become extremely familiar across the world as the economic crisis continues and the buck has often landed at the hands of the less fortunate. This is particularly interesting as TDKR is not simply a good versus evil super hero movie but one that has a relevant, resounding message and strikes a chord with viewers.

In a Nutshell: A satisfying conclusion to Nolan’s epic trilogy. Lives up to expectations.
by Ciara Andrews