Out in the rail world

Thinking back on a summer of italian streets, croatian beaches and drunken breaking and entering into swimming pools, Adam Keogh plans it all again…

“For the past few summers I had sat around waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did. I wanted last summer to be different, so I decided to go interrailing. We started in the Czech Republic, then went through Eastern Europe and back to France, stopping over in Italy along the way.”

Interrailing is an extremely popular way to travel around Europe without breaking the bank. Costing between €100 – €400 for a ticket, interrailing is a tried-and-tested reliable, and fits tidily into the student budget. Although, not every aspect can be predicted quite as easily as the price.

“When we walked into our hostel in Prague we saw this group of rowdy English people shouting and getting drunk in the communal kitchen and we were like “What have we got ourselves into?” English and Film Studies student, Adam Keogh admitted that there was a few nervous looks shared between his friends while traveling, however he then stumbled across the traveller’s code.

“Everyone helps everyone else out and most of the people you meet are really open and up for having a laugh” . After those long and draining train journeys, Keogh admits it was a relief to have a fellow traveller show his group to the door of their hostel.

We spent a lot of time just hanging around, relaxing, sitting on the gorgeous beaches in Croatia or getting lost wandering around the narrow streets of Venice

Having experienced a snapshot glimpse of mainland Europe, Keogh feels that the best way to soak up the culture in such a short time was to spend “a lot of time just hanging around, relaxing, sitting on the gorgeous beaches in Croatia or getting lost wandering around the narrow streets of Venice or rowing along the Vltava river in Prague in hired boat”.

Of course, it isn’t just the cultureshock that has students hooked. An unspoken traveler code means that fellow interrailers are up for a laugh with those from all corners of Europe. “We loved Venice because we met some really nice people in our campsite and we stayed up all night drinking, dancing and breaking into the outdoor swimming pool for a midnight swim”.

Having had a taster of so many countries, next on Keogh’s to-do list is a longer, more expansive trip around his top two countries. Three days in each country was a “great experience”, and seems to have whet his appetite for a “proper grasp of culture”.