Fashion: Master trend for the Mister

Men’s fashion doesn’t have the same rate of turnover that is innately possessed by women’s trends, writes Joseph Murphy

There was a time when a man could be excused for a springtime wardrobe of a ‘T-shirt and jeans’ – the same winning combo that featured the summer previous, right through to winter. No longer can the unavailability of fashionable men’s clothing be an excuse however.

Shopping online has opened up a haven of choice for men. High street stores like Topman, H&M and even Penneys, and vintage outlets such as Harlequinn and Eager Beaver, stock a range of clothes capable of dragging the least fashion-conscious male into spring 2011 looking trendy and seasonal.

By day, faded brown or camel-coloured cardigans, shoes and belts remain a key trend. Sport these pieces with a pair of dark skinny jeans and a simple tee to achieve a smart but chic, casual look. Bootcut jeans and even flared cuts feature also, offering a more forgiving option than skinny cuts.

Spearheaded by Burberry, motorcycle fashion has returned to the catwalk. With a muted colour palette of predominantly black, leather jackets can be combined with last season’s military inspired pieces to create an updated look.

By night, a simple check shirt – a staple for any man’s wardrobe – and a pair of jeans make a simple but stylish outfit. Add a tailored blazer to the mix and you’re all set. Faded denim shirts remain a feature too. A bowler or a trilby hat offers an easy and stylish way to accessorise your outfit.

Seasonal trends are evidently influenced by the preppy styles inspired by Glee and Gossip Girl. Turned-up jeans, buttoned-up cardigans and shirts were a recurring feature on the catwalk. Predominantly pale colours and washed out whites accentuate this look, and wholly brighten up your wardrobe.

White, knee-length shorts and a simple pale or striped tee will create a preppy beach look that can be completed perfectly with a pair of brown loafers or deck shoes. However, beware of dressing in too much white if you boast an Irish complexion, for fear of looking washed-out.

Men’s fashion trends do not evolve as often as women’s might, but simple aspects of your wardrobe can be altered to ensure your outfit is up to date and stylish. Simply changing the cut of your jeans or the colour of your boots will enable any guy to look on trend – day and night. So, leave the Canterburys in the gym, the ‘Return to Pub’ T-shirts in the trash and get on board with looking great this season.