Campus News in Brief

UCDSU Launch Comedy Festival 

UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) has announced the launch of the UCD Comedy Festival 2014. The three day festival, which will take place in Astra Hall on 4th, 5th and 6th November, will see comedians such as Des Bishop, Bernard O’Shea and Karl Spain perform gigs on the campus.

Commenting on the festival UCDSU President Feargal Hynes said “We believe that this event is excellent value for money. Anywhere else in the country Des Bishop is playing for at least €20. We have him in UCD for €10. Our Wednesday night gig which has some of the best young talent in the country is only costing €5 euro and if you want to see all three nights we have a special price ticket of only €20.”

UCD named as one of five new SFI research centres

UCD has been named as the lead on one of five new research centres announced under a €245 million investment project. The substantial investment will see five new Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Research Centres open to support cutting-edge research in critical and emerging sectors of the economy which have been deemed key for job creation in Ireland. The funding announced will be provided over the next six years, 2014-2020.

UCD will lead on the Irish Centre for Research in Applied Geosciences (iCRAG). Professor John Walsh has been named at the lead investigator in of iCRAG. Walsh will spearhead research in to finding and harnessing resources such as Zinc and hydrocarbon, which Ireland boasts high quantities of, in an a manner which is judged environmentally sustainable.

Professor Mark Ferguson, Director General of Science Foundation Ireland and Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government of Ireland, commented on the importance of the new centres saying, “These five new SFI Research Centres were selected following a highly competitive and rigorous international peer review process which screened for scientific excellence and assessed potential economic and societal impact.”

Little Green Cars to play free gig for UCD Students

In an anouncement designed to create a level of excitement with students on campus, a surprise preformance by an popular Irish act was announced by UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) on 16 October.

The identify of the act, set to take the stage in Astra Hall on 29 October, was kept a closely guarded secret howvever until Sunday 19October when it was announced that Little Green Cars would preform for students.

The event aimed to untilise UCD Ent’s newly launched app, with student having to download the app and obtain tickets through it, instead of the usual manner of buying tickets to events in SU Shops on campus.

Speaking about securing Little Green Cars as the event’s headline act, UCDSU Entertainment and Event Manager, Paul Kilgallon described it as “a real coup” for UCD to have them for this free intimate gig.

UCDSU President Feargal Hynes states that this announcement proves that UCDSU are striving to have a wider choice in entertainment on campus for students. He says “From the Academic and Cascada at the Freshers Ball to the Comedy Festival with Des Bishop and Bernard O’Shea we really want to have something for everyone.”