New Student Centre to open doors to UCD Sport and Fitness on June 25

Olympic-specification fifty metre swimming pool.

UCD Sport and Fitness is set to open this Monday, June 25, in the new Student Centre complex on campus. This follows the lowering of the time-capsule and the unveiling of the new sculpture, Joie de Vivre by Jill Pitko, in front of the centre, last Wednesday.

The long-awaited opening of the facility will see UCD students, alumni, and staff, as well as members of the public gain access to Ireland’s third fifty-metre Olympic-specification swimming pool, a sauna, jacuzzi, tepidarium and a shallow children’s pool, as well as a 150-piece gym, which occupies 850m2, more than twice the size of the gym space previously available.

Gym space, without equipment.

The development, which began five years ago, cost over €50 million and includes student services as well as the sport and fitness facilities, though it is only the latter which will open on Monday. The complex includes a ninety-seat cinema, 125-seat theatre, tournament-grade debating chamber named after Garret FitzGerald, student offices and meeting rooms, and a radio pod. While the pool and the gym open this week, the rest of the extension won’t be opening until August this year.

Current UCD students will have free access to the gym, and will have the option to pay to use the swimming pool, with the rates set at €4 a swim or €100 a year for unlimited access. The public will pay €800 a year for membership, while UCD staff will pay €450 in membership fees for the year. The development was funded by student levies, and graduates who contributed to the levy as a student will be able to avail of discounted membership rates.

Sport and Fitness entrance to new Student Centre.

Student Centre manager and project co-ordinator Dominic O’Keeffe, speaking to the Irish Times said, “It’s a new age in leisure provision; the standards and spec are the highest in the country.” He is confident that UCD Sport and Fitness will attract sufficient membership numbers within UCD, and with the general public to ensure the complex is viable.

Further information on UCD’s new Student Centre, details of the facilities available and membership information can be found at www.ucd.ie/studentcentre.

All photographs by Daniel Lynch.

• Peter

Any idea how much the Alumni rate will be?

• Aoife Valentine, Deputy Editor

I haven’t gotten a concrete number as of yet, but I’ve heard it’s around €475. If you email fitness[at]ucd[dot]ie, they will be able to give you all the details about pricing and how to sign up.

• Peter

Yeah, I emailed the buggers last week and they still haven’t replied! Thanks for getting back to me.

• renagh Fitzsimons

What is the name of the architecture firm responsible for this amazing building? – i am quite surprised their name was not mentioned in this article considering none of this would be possible without their vision and capacity to deliver such a fine product.

• Aoife Valentine, Deputy Editor

The architects were Fitzgerald Kavanagh and Partners.

• tobingj

I guess someone either works for Fitzgerald Kavanagh and Partners or is looking for a job there. Seems a bit excessive as the freshers get free access.

• Brian

Hi, How much is the swimming pool cost for the public.
    For example an hourly use or a day pass use.
    And could you please tell me what is the minumum age for entering the pool/
    Thank you

• Aoife Valentine, Deputy Editor

As far as I know, the swimming pool comes within the public membership, which costs €800 per year. I’m not sure if there are daily rates for non-students, if you email fitness[at]ucd[dot]ie, they should be able to tell you that and the minimum age.