New Student Centre to open doors to UCD Sport and Fitness on June 25

Olympic-specification fifty metre swimming pool.

UCD Sport and Fitness is set to open this Monday, June 25, in the new Student Centre complex on campus. This follows the lowering of the time-capsule and the unveiling of the new sculpture, Joie de Vivre by Jill Pitko, in front of the centre, last Wednesday.

The long-awaited opening of the facility will see UCD students, alumni, and staff, as well as members of the public gain access to Ireland’s third fifty-metre Olympic-specification swimming pool, a sauna, jacuzzi, tepidarium and a shallow children’s pool, as well as a 150-piece gym, which occupies 850m2, more than twice the size of the gym space previously available.

Gym space, without equipment.

The development, which began five years ago, cost over €50 million and includes student services as well as the sport and fitness facilities, though it is only the latter which will open on Monday. The complex includes a ninety-seat cinema, 125-seat theatre, tournament-grade debating chamber named after Garret FitzGerald, student offices and meeting rooms, and a radio pod. While the pool and the gym open this week, the rest of the extension won’t be opening until August this year.

Current UCD students will have free access to the gym, and will have the option to pay to use the swimming pool, with the rates set at €4 a swim or €100 a year for unlimited access. The public will pay €800 a year for membership, while UCD staff will pay €450 in membership fees for the year. The development was funded by student levies, and graduates who contributed to the levy as a student will be able to avail of discounted membership rates.

Sport and Fitness entrance to new Student Centre.

Student Centre manager and project co-ordinator Dominic O’Keeffe, speaking to the Irish Times said, “It’s a new age in leisure provision; the standards and spec are the highest in the country.” He is confident that UCD Sport and Fitness will attract sufficient membership numbers within UCD, and with the general public to ensure the complex is viable.

Further information on UCD’s new Student Centre, details of the facilities available and membership information can be found at www.ucd.ie/studentcentre.

All photographs by Daniel Lynch.

5 responses to “New Laureate for Irish Fiction set to lecture at UCD
  1. Thank you for writing this! You’ve made really important observations that i hope are noted by this committee and add to the discussion.

Another fun fact: we were denied permission again almost exactly a year ago by the President’s Cabinet (Kuncl’s, not ASUR) to launch a publicly accessible website. This was after increasing pressure all year to go online as well as a well-established belief amongst students and faculty that we’d lost readership and quality as a publication for not having done so.
    I was told that in the Cabinet’s meeting about this, the largest opponent of bulldogweekly.com was the admissions department, due to the belief that the paper’s quality would shed a bad light on the university. My attempts to arrange permissions for the website, unfortunately, were always directed to the Marketing department.

For the administration to claim that they are in full support of the Bulldog Weekly and its goals and that it’s entirely the student body that does not want it to move forward is just a lie.

(That’s more than I intended to write – sorry! Anyways thank you for keeping this conversation alive you put it so well. And the amount of alumni support the Bulldog is getting is amazing!)

2. just a quick detail comment: the person whose quote about “rich white males” started the discussion is nonbinary and uses the pronouns they/them/their, not she/her. so if their story is going to go far and wide, it’d be great not to misgender them.

1. Hello I’m afraid I’m not sure whose quote and misgenderment you are referring to, I don’t seem refer to rich white males. Might you have the wrong article?

3. I don’t have any issues with the Ghibli list. As far as the non-Ghibli list is concerned, I would only substitute Satoshi Kon’s “Millenium Actress” for “Perfect Blue.” I have those two movies in my personal library, along with each of the Ghibli movies of course.

4. V.V.: Thank you for that lucid and passionate analysis of the Bulldog debacle (good backstory!). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–committed and talented students like yourself (and Laura, and Michael, and all the other editors and writers through the years) are what made my job more than worth the weekly drive from L.A. to the I.E. That inspiration continues. I hope your optimism is warranted and the paper stages a comeback free from university meddling. The involvement of marketing doesn’t bode well, but I’ll share your optimism for now.