Web: Screw you-tube

YouTube has become a global phenomenon. However, Ryan Mackenzie believes it may not be the site’s endless supply of video content which draws viewers

The miracle of YouTube lies in its limitless potential. With billions of videos uploaded each year, containing content on almost anything one could think of, the website has become a major source of self-expression. However, as human nature goes, this bottomless well of possibility has instead become a hub of excessive idiotic opinions and overt abuse.

Videos of even the most obscure topics rouse debate amongst YouTube viewers. The ease in which users can voice their thoughts has led to an explosion of self-righteous arguments which escalate at an incredible rate. However, instead of resulting in offence or discomfort for the neutral reader, these petty and ridiculously derogatory arguments are hilarious.

Even something as insignificant as correcting someone’s grammar or spelling can cause an irrational outburst of rage, such as:

“rock3r123: @messifan34 I believe you meant they’re, not their…”

“messifan34: @rock3r123 Go f**k urself u piece of s**t!”

“rock3r123: @messifan34 learn how to spell you absolute f*****g c**t. You’re clearly r******d!!!!!!!!”

…and so on. The site is of course a hotspot for the criminally opinionated. Comments like “Justin Bieber is the messiah” or “Messi is waaaaay better than Ronaldo. I hope Ronaldo dies!!!!” are a familiar sight for YouTube viewers. In this way, the website has become a way for overly enthusiastic teenagers and the unemployed to preach their inflated beliefs and release their frustrations into an unwelcoming public domain.

While it would seem like an ideal way for people to voice their opinions in a calm and safe environment, the anonymity of the site gives rise to ruthless and often cruel confrontation when two (usually wrong and ill-informed) opinions collide.

The end result is a procession of racist, sexist and sectarian slurs which soon divorce themselves from the initial argument – which was probably about something as inane as Simon Cowell’s song choice for some random X Factor contestant from Bristol – to become something vile, aggressive and downright comical.

It could be said that these arguments represent people at their most honest. Free from the shackles of social protocol and the threat of getting beaten up, commenters let loose and dispense savage attacks with an utter disregard for other people, and abhorrent deep-seated hatred emerges.

Or it could just be that those with enough free time to bother engaging in a fight with random people over the internet about pointless topics are idiots. Either way, these fiery disputes present us with an endless well of entertainment and undoubtedly fail to achieve the ultimate goal of proving their point.