Games: 2010 – The year in gaming

From Super Mario to street fighting, Killian Woods discusses some of 2010’s best games

Super Mario Galaxy 2

In an age of digital entertainment that always aspires towards that next level of high definition or new features in graphic design, Super Mario Galaxy is a welcome throwback to fonder times. Here is a game that was created to please gamers with its desirable gameplay and not an ability to spray 3D guts in your general direction.

Marking its 25th anniversary, Super Mario Galaxy 2 managed to dodge a dangerous bullet that could have potentially seen the brand churn out another stereotypical Mario game. This classic platform video game gave its longtime fans a breath of fresh air.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 hit all the right buttons. It cleverly balanced the exciting elements a game should foster and coupled it with the family-friendly aspect. Here’s to another 25 years of Mario.

Halo: Reach & Call of Duty: Black Ops

Throw the nostalgia out the window for now, what level on Super Mario do you get to kill Fidel Castro or single-handedly take on the combined Russian and Vietcong forces?

As far as first-person shooters went during 2010, there were two inseparable candidates for the top spot in their category. Both provided what they promised, and more. Call of Duty: Black Ops managed to deliver the interesting and deep storyline that came with even more expansive gameplay than previous editions.

Halo: Reach, on the other hand, managed to offset the disappointing performance of Halo 3: ODST. It provided an interesting campaign to keep its loyal fans occupied before getting engrossed in the online multiplayer aspect of the game.

Angry Birds

It may not be a high-definition blockbuster, but Angry Birds could arguably be regarded as the biggest game of the year. Playing Angry Birds is a unique experience. It is basic at heart, but addictive to its core.

Its basic concept of catapulting birds at structures in order to topple them is what makes it synonymous with an array of platform games. The popularity of this game never seemed to fade as it maintained a position aloft the Apple App Store chart, as one of the most downloaded and highest-grossing applications.

Super Street Fighter IV

Another throwback to times gone by, and like Mario, this is the return of a glorious classic with a happy ending. Super Street Fighter IV brought new characters and a story that followed the specific motivations of each character in their quest to the top. The gameplay brought a mixed animated style that saw both 2D and 3D made use of in order to enhance the overall experience.

Maybe the basis of gaming is becoming a system in which a popular brand churns out a remake of a classic or slightly tweaked version of their previous title. Yet as long as we get to blow up stuff, beat our friends and kill leaders of third world countries, let the system live on.