Science Building renovations to cost €130 million

RENOVATIONS of the UCD Science Building are expected to cost an estimated €130 million over the next ten years. The development is partly funded by the state-run Programme for Research in Third-Level Institutions (PRTLI) and it is hoped that the renovations will attract prospective students to UCD and in turn, increase the number of science graduates, in addition to making the Science Building the focal point of the university.

Head of Buildings and Services, Aidan Grannell, said that the aim is to make the building “more attractive to students who want to study science” and that “the ultimate objective for the state presently… is to double the number of Ph.Ds coming out of universities.”

Mr Grannell admitted that the university had to take the current economic climate into consideration before proceeding with the construction, but argued that “there were plenty of periods since UCD started back in 150 years ago… where there were recessions and boom periods and work still went on.”

“There are other mechanisms of funding such as the university’s own philanthropic campaign,” said Mr Grannell. “You’re looking at money from our own resources, from UCD’s own resources [and] you’re looking at funding coming in from research.”

Mr Grannell believed that the buildings “are well in need of refurbishment”. He stated that the building, once finished, will feature state of the art laboratories, research facilities and undergraduate teaching facilities. It is hoped that the size of science centres north and west will eventually be increased from the current 32,000 to 67,000 square metres. Mr Grannell expressed his concern in relation to a “shortage of student [social] spaces in all the buildings” and hopes to provide more communal areas for students with the expansion.

Mr Grannell recognised the fact that there would be some disruption while refurbishments are ongoing, saying that “unfortunately you are going to have a certain amount of noise associated with the works”. He stated that the work would be done during the summer period, where possible, in order to limit any inconveniences caused.

The current developments have so far, yet to impinge on students’ study and coursework. First year Science student, Ed Cox, said that “other than the odd drill every now and again, there’s nothing that I can really complain about.” However, he feels that there is a need for more student spaces adding that “I think on some levels, [in the Science Building] there isn’t a clear place to congregate”.

Another first year Science student, Gavin Hillick, agreed saying, “I don’t think there’s enough places to relax in the Science Block… I go to the Newman Building if I want to hang around for an hour or two.” He was also unaffected by the refurbishments saying “I haven’t noticed any renovations except for the first couple of weeks.”

5 responses to “New Laureate for Irish Fiction set to lecture at UCD
  1. Thank you for writing this! You’ve made really important observations that i hope are noted by this committee and add to the discussion.

Another fun fact: we were denied permission again almost exactly a year ago by the President’s Cabinet (Kuncl’s, not ASUR) to launch a publicly accessible website. This was after increasing pressure all year to go online as well as a well-established belief amongst students and faculty that we’d lost readership and quality as a publication for not having done so.
    I was told that in the Cabinet’s meeting about this, the largest opponent of bulldogweekly.com was the admissions department, due to the belief that the paper’s quality would shed a bad light on the university. My attempts to arrange permissions for the website, unfortunately, were always directed to the Marketing department.

For the administration to claim that they are in full support of the Bulldog Weekly and its goals and that it’s entirely the student body that does not want it to move forward is just a lie.

(That’s more than I intended to write – sorry! Anyways thank you for keeping this conversation alive you put it so well. And the amount of alumni support the Bulldog is getting is amazing!)

2. just a quick detail comment: the person whose quote about “rich white males” started the discussion is nonbinary and uses the pronouns they/them/their, not she/her. so if their story is going to go far and wide, it’d be great not to misgender them.

1. Hello I’m afraid I’m not sure whose quote and misgenderment you are referring to, I don’t seem refer to rich white males. Might you have the wrong article?

3. I don’t have any issues with the Ghibli list. As far as the non-Ghibli list is concerned, I would only substitute Satoshi Kon’s “Millenium Actress” for “Perfect Blue.” I have those two movies in my personal library, along with each of the Ghibli movies of course.

4. V.V.: Thank you for that lucid and passionate analysis of the Bulldog debacle (good backstory!). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–committed and talented students like yourself (and Laura, and Michael, and all the other editors and writers through the years) are what made my job more than worth the weekly drive from L.A. to the I.E. That inspiration continues. I hope your optimism is warranted and the paper stages a comeback free from university meddling. The involvement of marketing doesn’t bode well, but I’ll share your optimism for now.